Main Scriptures: Luke 22:26-27
More Scriptures: Matthew 20:28, Philippians 2:7, 1Timothy 5:17
Jesus said something very striking when He addressed the question posed by two of His disciples who wanted position. James and John the sons of Zebedee requested Jesus to make them sit both at His right and left hand in glory. This is not peculiar to them. Tradition and culture continue to make husbands think that they are the head to be served. They forget that the position of leadership that they occupy in their sheepfold is to minister to their sheep. And in ministry, you are actually serving. So, Jesus said them in this wise. But so shall it be among you, but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister (Mark 10:43). Do you want to enjoy honour from your wife and children all the days of your life? Be their servant. I know this may not sound logical nor does it make sense to you. But if you agree that God has positioned you to be the head of your family, then you need to learn how He served His people willingly and sacrificially.
Now I want you to consider these two diagrams below. They are the leadership style of Jesus Christ and the world. So, examine your leadership life in your sheepfold and see where you truly fit into as the godly man, husband and father.
SECULAR LEADERSHIP (JESUS’) SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP
H W C
W C H
(H stands for-husband, W stands for -wife, C stands for-children)
Attributes of Secular leadership Attributes of Godly leadership
The shepherd: The shepherd:
- Competes and wins Depends on God
- Claims rights and position Serves his sheep
- Demands respect from his sheep Develops his sheep
- Considers temporal gains Ensures eternal gain
- Bosses his sheep around Serves as a father to his sheep
- Father, in the Name of Jesus, fill me with the Spirit of grace and humility to be like You to my wife and children.
- Father, in the Name of Jesus, deliver me from the influence of the world system of leadership.
- Father, in the Name of Jesus, help me to accept my position as the good and godly shepherd.
I align myself with the leadership style of Jesus Christ because that is how I am to lead my wife and children as the good and godly shepherd in Jesus Name. Amen.